Rodney Stark is known for sacrificing a lot of sacred cows when it comes to beliefs about religion and especially Christianity. In his previous books he has used reasoned statistical analysis to make a case that Christianity didn’t become huge because of
- Churches are not declining just liberal ones.
- More people attend Church today than they ever did at any point in American history.
- Americans find churches that require high levels of commitment in their membership the most attractive.
- Atheism is not really growing in
just media attention to Atheist authors. America
- Megachurches do foster high commitment and personal relationships.
- Church attendance and religious commitment give women and particularly their daughters far more options in society than feminism does.
- College educated skeptics are statistically more inclined to believe in UFO’s and the Lochness monster than those who attend church.
- Evangelicals are not on the move to take over
politically. They are less likely to be involved in political activities than liberals or even non-religious people. America
Obviously much more is covered in the book and some issues are completely neglected, but all in all some much needed and helpful information. In a period of waning economic fortune, it’s good to see the outlook for the church as an American institution is in much better shape than we previously thought.